Wes Anderson has announced the release date of his upcoming stop motion animated film Isle of Dogs with the official poster. Inspired by the film’s setting in Japan, the poster features the title in English and Japanese characters, as well as the star-studded cast list including Yoko Ono, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Scarlett Johansson, Jeff Goldblum, Edward Norton, Bryan Cranston and Bill Murray.
The poster is framed by artwork from the film, showing a boy who has parachuted on to a beach after his small aircraft has crash landed, to be greeted by a pack of curious dogs.
Another teaser poster was released when Wes announced the film in December last year, featuring concept art from the film’s art team and using an illustrated portrait of the young protagonist in a military-style get-up, a front tooth missing and large, vivid eyes.
Wes also marked the film’s announcement via a video (below) which invited fans to win the chance to voice a character in the film, and offered a sneak peak at one of the animated dogs. The competition raised money for Martin Scorsese’s charity The Film Foundation.
Due out 20 April 2018, the film follows a “boy’s odyssey in search of his dog”. It is written and directed by Wes Anderson, and produced by Wes, Scott Rudin, Steven Rales and Jeremy Dawson. The cast also includes F. Murray Abraham, Bob Balaban, Greta Gerwig, Akira Ito, Frances McDormand, Mari Natsuki, Yojiro Noda, Kunichi Nomura, Koyu Rankin, Liev Schreiber, Fisher Stevens, Akira Takayama, Courtney B. Vance and Frank Wood.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design