The exhibition will be a mammoth showcase of Todd’s multidisciplinary work. One floor will display photography taken from his three books, including a room for “the people, place and things” he photographed during 2008, the year he began The Selby. Another floor concentrates on his illustration work, including large resin pieces featuring collages, “that help tell a story about the people featured inside of the frame”. Another area will be transformed into a living room and closet aptly named ‘Selby’s House’, including Todd’s signature cat t-shirts.
However the most ambitious part of the exhibition is on the top floor, a jungle room, “an immersive space filled with animals and plants made into 2D and 3D sculptures plus floor vinyls, and vines with hanging animals,” explains The Selby. The inspiration for the jungle room came to Todd when he was 13 on a holiday to Hawaii with his family. “They were in Papua New Guinea, sailing up the Sepik River in an effort to find and take photos of a cannibalistic tribe which was allegedly responsible for eating Michael Rockefeller. The first night on the boat, after dining on crocodile and piranha, he and his brother went to sleep in a room with no windows next to the engine room — and Todd dreamt of the jungle room.”
The exhibition will run from 27 April — 29 October, with an exterior plastered with illustrated vinyls, sculptures based on Todd’s drawings and a wall of animals and plants with cut out head sized holes to take photographs.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design