British fashion photographer and filmmaker Alasdair McLellan has directed the music video for The xx’s latest single, On Hold. Known for his adeptness for capturing character and atmosphere in the most familiar and even banal of surroundings, Alasdair this time turns his lens not on gritty Britishness but American high school icons.
The video tells a story of young love amid the ubiquitous American teenage environs we’ve seen a thousand times in films and TV shows, while managing to give it a freshly hazy gaze and beauty that matches up well with The xx’s chilled soundtrack.
It gives a snapshot of life at Marfa High School in Texas, from the Shorthorns football team and cheerleaders, to a rowdy house party and kids sitting in a diner, portraying daily life in the small desert town. Meanwhile The xx joins in the fun now and again, skateboarding and singing down the phone.
The dreamy film however makes little reference to Marfa’s iconic status as an unlikely hub for the arts, known for Donald Judd’s live/work compound the Chinati Foundation, which he set up in the 1970s. The xx wrote and recorded some of its forthcoming album I See You in Marfa. On Hold is on the album, out 13 January 2017.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos