Before he died, Stanley Kubrick had agreed to direct a video for a track on Unkle’s 1998 album Psyence Fiction. Lonely Souls featuring Richard Ashcroft, was left without a video. Made with the blessing of Kubrick’s estate, The Corridor is that video (trailer shown above), created as the centrepiece of Somerset House’s upcoming exhibition Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick.
Directed by Toby Dye, made with Ridley Scott Associates and Black Dog Films, and co-written with 4Creative’s Chris Bovill and John Allison, the film is a multi-aspect installation with disorientating, intense and hypnotic visuals inspired by Kubrick’s themes and stylistic devices. It stars Joanna Lumley and Aiden Gillen within four simultaneous, interweaving narratives on a continuous loop. It was produced by Rebecca Mills and executive producer Katie Dolan.
The film is at the heart of the exhibition curated by Unkle’s James Lavelle and James Putnam, featuring a range of artists, filmmakers and musicians showing works influenced by Kubrick.
“The style of The Corridor is very much influenced by the period in which Psyence Fiction was made,” James Lavelle says. “The film making of the 90s by the likes of Chris Cunningham and Jon Glazer was ultimately very artful, and we wanted to make a return to that less literal visual language.”
Daydreaming With… Stanley Kubrick is on at Somerset House from 6 July — 24 August.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos