The South by South West Film Awards were announced last night at the Texas festival, honouring designers and directors across 17 categories.
London-based animation director Nicolas Menard won Best Animated Short for Wednesday with Goddard, while short animation Pussy by young Polish director Renata Gasiorowska was given a special jury recognition.
Director Miles Jay won best music video for Leon Bridges’ River, which was also nominated for a Grammy, and the video for Tame Impala’s The Less I Know the Better directed by Canada was given a special jury recognition prize.
Caspar Newbolt won the award for excellence in poster design for his artwork for Laura Moss’ film Fry Day, and special jury recognition went to Jeremy Enecio’s poster for Like Me.
Chris R. Moberg and Jared Young won the award for excellence in title design for Into the Current.
The top prizes of the evening went to Ana Asensio’s feature film Most Beautiful Island, a directing debut for the Spanish TV actor which won best narrative feature; and The Work by Jairus McLeary and Gethin Aldous, which won best documentary feature.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know