Swiss graphic design outfit Studio Feixen redesigned the most-read daily newspaper in Switzerland, 20 Minuten, for just one day as part of a collaboration with Samsung. The studio worked with Swiss ad agency Jung von Matt, which ran the campaign to promote the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S8 in Switzerland and – instead of regular ads – pitched a one-off “design” edition of the commuter paper.
Layouts are overlaid with brightly coloured graphics, such as brushstrokes and dots, mimicking the swipe or tap of a thumb on a phone screen, and lava-lamp-like globules, that bring new energy to the pages. The studio was given complete freedom to customise the paper, and the designers’ dynamic identity comes through in the visuals and their accompanying articles, from vibrant highlights to red, angry scribbles.
The paper was published Friday 28 April to a mixed response, with some readers commenting on social media that elements of the design made the text difficult to read. 20 Minuten later responded on Facebook, apologising for putting readers through an “admittedly hard test”. “This design issue is an experiment as to how far the interplay between form and content can go. An experiment we will surely not repeat”.
Chief editor Marco Boselli explains in a short film about the project this is the first time the newspaper has revamped its whole layout for a one-off run, so “we wanted to create an iconic edition.. but it had major challenges”.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU