Heating up the competition between the retailers for the best Christmas ad is Sainsbury’s with its musical offering of festive joy titled, The Greatest Gift.
Created by AMV BBDO and Passion Animation Studios the three-minute long animation tells the story of Dave and his ongoing struggle to achieve that perfect work-life balance. Through a bit of a sing-song and some amateur cloning, Dave realises at the end that the best gift he can give his family is his time.
The spot took seven weeks to create and has been directed by Academy Award and Bafta nominee Sam Fell. The animation combines traditional stop motion with hi-tech 3D printing techniques never previously used in the UK.
While the idea, “Christmas is for sharing” isn’t a completely new concept, there’s humour and fun weaved throughout the ambitious ad, including a twerking colleague and train delays caused by one single snowflake.
The spot is accompanied by a musical number that narrates the entire film, which has been written by Bret McKenzie, of Flight of the Conchords fame, and sung by comedian and Carpool Karaoke-fiend James Corden.
Like John Lewis, the last few years have seen Sainsbury’s upping its game in the Christmas ad stakes, which last year saw the retailer bring back fictional cat, Mog – the most-viewed Christmas ad of 2015 with 30 million views.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know