Red Bull Music Academy has moved into animation with The Junction, a six-episode series by some of Canada’s most exciting animation talent.
Films by Patrick Doyon, Malcolm Sutherland, Dylan Glynn, Josh Holinaty, Brandon Blommaert, Hamish Lambert and Kyle Mowat bring to life stories about musical collaborations that came about in unexpected and funny ways. The animations are voiced by the musicians themselves and represent a variety in style, creative directed by Booooooom founder Jeff Hamada.
In the first episode Peaches and Chilly Gonzales chat about a basement jam session they had, animated by Oscar-nominated, Montreal-based filmmaker Patrick Doyon.
Kaytranada and River Tiber discuss their shared love for Brazilian music, animated beautifully with crayon drawings by Hamish Lambert.
Brandon Blommaert and Josh Holinaty have created a dreamy 3D animation for the latest episode, released today, in which A-Trak and Nick Catchdubs talk about how their label Fool’s Gold Records came about.
Three episodes are yet to come, featuring discussions between: Lunice, Ango and 247esp, animated by Malcolm Sutherland; Jessy Lanza and Jeremy Greenspan, animated by illustrator Dylan Glynn (4 October); and BadBadNotGood and Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands, animated by Kyle Mowat (6 October).
Watch the first three episodes below.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU