Red Bull Music Academy has moved into animation with The Junction, a six-episode series by some of Canada’s most exciting animation talent.
Films by Patrick Doyon, Malcolm Sutherland, Dylan Glynn, Josh Holinaty, Brandon Blommaert, Hamish Lambert and Kyle Mowat bring to life stories about musical collaborations that came about in unexpected and funny ways. The animations are voiced by the musicians themselves and represent a variety in style, creative directed by Booooooom founder Jeff Hamada.
In the first episode Peaches and Chilly Gonzales chat about a basement jam session they had, animated by Oscar-nominated, Montreal-based filmmaker Patrick Doyon.
Kaytranada and River Tiber discuss their shared love for Brazilian music, animated beautifully with crayon drawings by Hamish Lambert.
Brandon Blommaert and Josh Holinaty have created a dreamy 3D animation for the latest episode, released today, in which A-Trak and Nick Catchdubs talk about how their label Fool’s Gold Records came about.
Three episodes are yet to come, featuring discussions between: Lunice, Ango and 247esp, animated by Malcolm Sutherland; Jessy Lanza and Jeremy Greenspan, animated by illustrator Dylan Glynn (4 October); and BadBadNotGood and Samuel T. Herring of Future Islands, animated by Kyle Mowat (6 October).
Watch the first three episodes below.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos