Wieden + Kennedy group creative director Craig Allen has directed an interactive music video for Real Estate’s latest song Stained Glass which allows viewers to colour in the line-drawn video as it plays.
Billed as the first of its kind, the video features the band moving through a woodland landscape with mountains on the horizon, all animated in black lines on a white background ready to be filled in with colour. The viewer can choose from a palette of ‘paints’ with varying tones, and click and drag to customise the animation with their chosen colours. A fully coloured-in version has also been made by the band.
“We were collectively excited by making a video that the band could create with their fans rather than for them,” says Craig. “I’ve always been excited to find new ways of making content and this video is a fun – dare I say therapeutic – thing to play with, where you actually get to feel like you accomplish something at the end. That’s what is exciting to all of us and we’re extremely proud of what we’ve been able to create with the help of the fabulous MediaMonks team.”
Try it out for yourself here or watch the completed version below.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc