Plumen has launched its new lightbulb, Plumen 003, an LED lamp that combines engineering with product and jewellery design.
This is the latest low-energy bulb from Nicolas Roope’s design studio Hulger, and has been five years in the making. Its rounded, bell-shaped glass form was designed by Clare Norcross, and its golden, multi-faceted core was designed by jewellery designer Marie-Laure Giroux.
The patented design gives both a downward spotlight and an ambient light created by the golden core, which is made from anodised aluminium. The criss-cross texture on the fluted shapes disperses the light from the LED bulb inside, causing the light to bounce around and create a warm, diffused glow.
“Sustainable design often lacks sex appeal – LED bulbs being no exception,” says Nicolas. “Since our original idea, LED technology has come on in leaps and bounds. Previous gripes over light quality, colour temperature, reliability and brightness have all faded. To persuade all those who still haven’t moved to low energy lighting, we knew we needed something really special to tempt them in. We needed some seductive sustainability.”
The brand’s first bulb, Plumen 001, won the Designs of the Year prize in 2011, and though Plumen 002 was released in 2014, the company has been simultaneously developing its third product, which launched today.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know