Plumen has launched its new lightbulb, Plumen 003, an LED lamp that combines engineering with product and jewellery design.
This is the latest low-energy bulb from Nicolas Roope’s design studio Hulger, and has been five years in the making. Its rounded, bell-shaped glass form was designed by Clare Norcross, and its golden, multi-faceted core was designed by jewellery designer Marie-Laure Giroux.
The patented design gives both a downward spotlight and an ambient light created by the golden core, which is made from anodised aluminium. The criss-cross texture on the fluted shapes disperses the light from the LED bulb inside, causing the light to bounce around and create a warm, diffused glow.
“Sustainable design often lacks sex appeal – LED bulbs being no exception,” says Nicolas. “Since our original idea, LED technology has come on in leaps and bounds. Previous gripes over light quality, colour temperature, reliability and brightness have all faded. To persuade all those who still haven’t moved to low energy lighting, we knew we needed something really special to tempt them in. We needed some seductive sustainability.”
The brand’s first bulb, Plumen 001, won the Designs of the Year prize in 2011, and though Plumen 002 was released in 2014, the company has been simultaneously developing its third product, which launched today.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy