Plumen has launched its new lightbulb, Plumen 003, an LED lamp that combines engineering with product and jewellery design.
This is the latest low-energy bulb from Nicolas Roope’s design studio Hulger, and has been five years in the making. Its rounded, bell-shaped glass form was designed by Clare Norcross, and its golden, multi-faceted core was designed by jewellery designer Marie-Laure Giroux.
The patented design gives both a downward spotlight and an ambient light created by the golden core, which is made from anodised aluminium. The criss-cross texture on the fluted shapes disperses the light from the LED bulb inside, causing the light to bounce around and create a warm, diffused glow.
“Sustainable design often lacks sex appeal – LED bulbs being no exception,” says Nicolas. “Since our original idea, LED technology has come on in leaps and bounds. Previous gripes over light quality, colour temperature, reliability and brightness have all faded. To persuade all those who still haven’t moved to low energy lighting, we knew we needed something really special to tempt them in. We needed some seductive sustainability.”
The brand’s first bulb, Plumen 001, won the Designs of the Year prize in 2011, and though Plumen 002 was released in 2014, the company has been simultaneously developing its third product, which launched today.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU