Ravi Amaratunga Hitchcock, formerly i-D global executive producer and a commissioner at Channel 4, has launched the first project to come out of his production company Pi Studios. I Was There When House Took Over The World is a two-part documentary series directed by Jake Sumner (Sting and Trudy Styler’s son) charting the birth of house music, available to watch online in the UK on All 4.
The documentary explores the genre from its origins in Chicago through to its takeover of the UK club scene, and features interviews with Nile Rodgers, Marshall Jefferson, Jesse Saunders, Chip E, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley and Honey Dijon. It was made in association with New York-based production outfit, AllDayEveryday. Media partner Lad Bible will release short excerpts through Instagram Stories.
“The death of disco and the birth of house is such an incredible story that is as relevant to the music culture today as it was then,” says Channel 4’s Thom Gulseven. “It’s been great work with Pi Studios on new ways of telling such an iconic story, from mid-form episodes for All 4, right down to 15 second documentary cut downs that can extend the reach of the project as far as possible."
Pi Studios is part of Amsterdam agency We Are Pi. The series is available to watch now on All 4.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc