British designer Paul Smith has curated a series of three playlists for streaming service Apple Music, featuring personal favourite classics and new tracks that make up the soundtrack to his youth, his travels, and inspire his creative work in the studio.
The designer has been captured in a series of black and white photographs for use in the campaign and playlists’ artwork, showcasing him out in the streets of London, sifting through records in Rough Trade and in-store with his own design work.
The first playlist, Around the World in 20 Tracks, is inspired by the music and musicians that have kept him company on his travels over the years, including artists he has a personal connection with. “From Van Morrison who bought my house from me, to Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page who I recently collaborated with, to Bowie and Patti who have both been good friends throughout my life,” he explains.
While, From Herbie to Holiday reflects on the designer’s past, featuring a selection of tracks from his favourite jazz musicians. The third, Something old, Something new…, is split into four parts juxtaposing classics and newer songs, as well as featuring music “borrowed” for use in his catwalk shows.
Paul Smith follows fellow designers Alexander Wang and Claire Waight Keller from Chloé, who previously contributed their own personal playlists to the campaign.
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Designer Sepus Noordmans talks about simplicity and structure in his portfolio
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know