Pantone has announced its colour of the year for 2017 will be Greenery, Pantone 15-0343. The colour is described by Pantone as a “fresh, yellowish hue” that “symbolises the reawakening of nature in spring and is a symbol for a new beginning”.
Greenery, the company says, reminds us of “young, fresh leaves and shoots, and stops to inhale deeply to replenish oxygen and new strength” – something most of us need after 2016’s events.
Last year the company released two colours of the year, Serenity and Rose Quartz, to convey a message of “our need for harmony brought in a chaotic world,” explains executive director of the Pantone Color Institute Leatrice Eiseman.
“Greenery is a symbol of the burgeoning longing for new hope in a complex social and political environment. Greenery symbolises our growing desire for a renewed connection and unity with nature and our fellow human beings.”
Leatrice also suggests that in our increasingly introverted, tech-obsessed society, people are “trapped in their modern realities” and as a result Greenery finds itself in “map, architecture, lifestyle and design”. She describes the shade as unifying in a uncertain and separating world, saying it is a “worldwide ubiquitous colour.”
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again