Whether you’re looking to add another creative string to your bow or finally make the leap into a career in the arts industry, without a life upheaval, the Open College of the Arts courses could be the answer.
The OCA hopes to widen access to arts education by making it easier to fit around different lifestyles. It’s a non-profit educational charity that is now part of the University for the Creative Arts, opening up a whole world of courses – from part-time to flexible, open, distance learning – in creative subjects.
Students can study to degree, foundation and other higher education levels in a huge range of subjects. These include photography, illustration, graphic design, painting, drawing, textiles, sculpture, printmaking and film, plus music, art history, creative writing.
Of particular note is its MA Fine Art course, which has won accolades for its teaching and, when it launched in 2011, was the first of its kind in Europe to be offered through open learning. Also, its Creative Arts degree allows students to choose and combine a variety of subjects, for example graphic design and textiles, if the practice students would like to pursue requires specific design skills.
With one-to-one tutor sessions and a choice of schedules, students also have the opportunity to study at home while still enjoying the benefits of being part of a UK-based and international student community.
The OCA is also currently offering a free taster course in photography. Find out more here.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design