Nexus studio director Felix Massie has recreated beloved children’s television character, Mr Benn in two adverts for The Insurance Emporium.
A collaboration with creative consultants The Chase, the two shorts, Safari and Krakatoa, saw the director starting the project by using an analogue approach: “Mr Benn has a very specific wobbly line that can only really be replicated by drawing on textured paper, the same goes for his watercolour textures,” explains Felix. As a result the artist drew all elements of the advert by hand, using watercolours on drawing paper to create the animated texture Mr Benn is recognised for.
In reproducing a television character from the 1970s for modern day, creating an authentic advert was key. “We wanted to treat Mr Benn as if he had been cryogenically frozen for 40 years and has suddenly woken up,” says Felix. “Now when he walks down the street, kids go by micro scooters instead of go-karts and there are kebabs strewn on the floor.” The pair of adverts additionally use Mr Benn’s original soundtrack, “for a truly nostalgic feel”.
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus