Mötorhead frontman Lemmy AKA Ian Kilmister stars in an ad promoting milk that was filmed less than a month before he died. Lemmy died on 28 December 2015 after a battle with cancer and Hasan & Partners, the agency who created the spot, says it’s a tribute to the late rockstar.
The ad was in the middle of post-production when Lemmy’s death was announced but the decision was made to still air the ad with footage “that was not part of the original script but crystallised Lemmy’s spirit.”
The ad for Finnish dairy company Valio is a remake of a famous 20-year-old Finnish commercial. In the spot, Lemmy walks out of a bar and states: “I have never drunk milk, and never will.” He then says, “You asshole,” and smiles. The take selected was an improvised moment that came late in the shoot. The company changed the script to recreate the ad as a tribute and the end copy reads: “Ian Lemmy Kilmister 1945-2015, We raise our glasses to you.” More text follows saying: “This is offered in celebration of the life of a lovely, exceptional man – a man who celebrated life so vibrantly himself.”
A website for the ad campaign features behind the scenes footage, anecdotes and stills, as well as information on the original ad and the inspiration for the 2016 remake.
Lemmy will have his funeral live streamed on 9 January.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design