Mötorhead frontman Lemmy AKA Ian Kilmister stars in an ad promoting milk that was filmed less than a month before he died. Lemmy died on 28 December 2015 after a battle with cancer and Hasan & Partners, the agency who created the spot, says it’s a tribute to the late rockstar.
The ad was in the middle of post-production when Lemmy’s death was announced but the decision was made to still air the ad with footage “that was not part of the original script but crystallised Lemmy’s spirit.”
The ad for Finnish dairy company Valio is a remake of a famous 20-year-old Finnish commercial. In the spot, Lemmy walks out of a bar and states: “I have never drunk milk, and never will.” He then says, “You asshole,” and smiles. The take selected was an improvised moment that came late in the shoot. The company changed the script to recreate the ad as a tribute and the end copy reads: “Ian Lemmy Kilmister 1945-2015, We raise our glasses to you.” More text follows saying: “This is offered in celebration of the life of a lovely, exceptional man – a man who celebrated life so vibrantly himself.”
A website for the ad campaign features behind the scenes footage, anecdotes and stills, as well as information on the original ad and the inspiration for the 2016 remake.
Lemmy will have his funeral live streamed on 9 January.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again