Mötorhead frontman Lemmy AKA Ian Kilmister stars in an ad promoting milk that was filmed less than a month before he died. Lemmy died on 28 December 2015 after a battle with cancer and Hasan & Partners, the agency who created the spot, says it’s a tribute to the late rockstar.
The ad was in the middle of post-production when Lemmy’s death was announced but the decision was made to still air the ad with footage “that was not part of the original script but crystallised Lemmy’s spirit.”
The ad for Finnish dairy company Valio is a remake of a famous 20-year-old Finnish commercial. In the spot, Lemmy walks out of a bar and states: “I have never drunk milk, and never will.” He then says, “You asshole,” and smiles. The take selected was an improvised moment that came late in the shoot. The company changed the script to recreate the ad as a tribute and the end copy reads: “Ian Lemmy Kilmister 1945-2015, We raise our glasses to you.” More text follows saying: “This is offered in celebration of the life of a lovely, exceptional man – a man who celebrated life so vibrantly himself.”
A website for the ad campaign features behind the scenes footage, anecdotes and stills, as well as information on the original ad and the inspiration for the 2016 remake.
Lemmy will have his funeral live streamed on 9 January.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc