Illustrator McBess has been commissioned by design agency Iris to capture the characters of St Patrick’s Day for a Guinness campaign. Arguably the stout brand’s biggest day of the year, the illustrations will be used “everywhere you can buy a Guinness” over the weekend, from beer mats and bar displays to T-shirts and posters.
The illustrations show the “eclectic mix” of creatures who might find common ground in a pint of Guinness, from bikers, hipsters and jockeys to surfers, sapeurs and the iconic Toucan.
Nina Taylor, creative director at Iris, says that McBess was ideal for this campaign. “His bold, monochromatic style suits Guinness’ distinct aesthetic and his quirky, interesting characters playfully brought the campaign idea to life. We wanted an illustrator who could imaginatively capture and celebrate all of the unique characters you’ll meet over a pint or two of Guinness on St.Patrick’s Day.”
McBess commented on the project, in a way only he could: “Well it’s not everyday that I can work for something that quenches my thirst for both black and white illustrations and black and white beverages. I wish every job would involve black and white beer and black and white drawings.”
- Fatima Al Qadiri is mono.kultur magazine’s latest muse
- Michael DeForge’s mysterious, ominous illustrations
- Jesús Sotés folkish work draws darker themes into his commercial illustration
- Alex Blouin shoots petrolheads at Canada’s biggest car show
- Designer Cindy Kutikova on translating her ideas into a visual language
- “Graphic design of any and every printed matter”: introducing Arc studio
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus