Manolo Blahnik is the man who heeled Sex And The City’s protagonist Carrie Bradshaw through dates, break-ups, proposals and er, muggings, so it’s only fair that Manolo got some screen time of his own.
Following a spar of recently launched and hugely successful feature-length fashion documentaries like Iris and Dior and I, the shoe designer has been granted his own film, directed by Michael Roberts. The trailer for the curiously-named Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards shows flashes of flamboyant footwear made by the designer. “I used to make shoes for lizards,” he laughs.
With interviews from a Met Gala-worthy list of stars including Anna Wintour (“I can’t remember the last time I wore anyone else’s shoes, I mean I just don’t even look at them!”), Paloma Picasso, Candace Bushnell, Jamie Preto, Rihanna and Naomi Campbell, the film is set to solidify Manolo’s icon status.
Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards will be released on 15 September in New York and LA on 15 September followed by a limited release in cities worldwide during September and October.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc