For Kenzo’s SS17 campaign the fashion house has partnered once again with director Kahlil Joseph. Recognised for directing Beyonce’s Lemonade alongside music videos for Arcade Fire, FKA Twigs and Flying Lotus, the director last worked with Kenzo in 2014.
Filmed in Los Angeles, the short film Music Is My Mistress doesn’t make fashion the main focus, portraying a range of black artists and activists. Starring Tracee Ellis Ross and Jesse Williams, the short is accompanied by music from Kelsey Lu and politically charged rap group, Shabazz Palaces. The narrative follows Jesse looking across LA for a woman of “African royalty”. The sun-filled colour footage is interspersed with monochrome segments, alongside short bursts of silence adding to the intensity of the film.
The film puts Kenzo once again at the forefront of fashion films, displaying its current collection in a nonconventional way.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s