For Kenzo’s SS17 campaign the fashion house has partnered once again with director Kahlil Joseph. Recognised for directing Beyonce’s Lemonade alongside music videos for Arcade Fire, FKA Twigs and Flying Lotus, the director last worked with Kenzo in 2014.
Filmed in Los Angeles, the short film Music Is My Mistress doesn’t make fashion the main focus, portraying a range of black artists and activists. Starring Tracee Ellis Ross and Jesse Williams, the short is accompanied by music from Kelsey Lu and politically charged rap group, Shabazz Palaces. The narrative follows Jesse looking across LA for a woman of “African royalty”. The sun-filled colour footage is interspersed with monochrome segments, alongside short bursts of silence adding to the intensity of the film.
The film puts Kenzo once again at the forefront of fashion films, displaying its current collection in a nonconventional way.
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know