Actress and artist Jemima Kirke has directed the video for Australian musician Alex Cameron’s new single, Strangers Kiss, a duet with Angel Olsen.
The enviously talented Jemima has starred in two music videos recently, Mick Jagger’s Gotta Get a Grip and her sister, Lola Kirke’s, recent single, Not Used. However Strangers Kiss sees the creative both behind and in front of the camera, starring in, writing and directing the music video.
The video is spellbinding to watch, beginning with Jemima dressing up in Alex Cameron’s signature look and heading out to find him, replicating his dance moves along the way. Speaking to The Fader, Alex explains: “The video Jemima wrote and directed brings the tenderness of love within the song to the surface — two people obsessed with who they want to be.” As the video plays out, Jemima finds Cameron is a subway station and ecstatically joins him in a romantic ending. “The two give each other what they always wanted and needed,” says Alex. “And that is a type of strange love.”
Despite being mostly known for her role as Jessa Johnson in Lena Dunham’s Girls, Jemima has always identified as an artist, graduating with a BA in Fine Arts from the prestigious Rhode Island School of Design in 2011.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc