Ikea has announced a collaboration with Danish design brand Hay, including a redesign of its big blue carrier bags. The new Frakta bags have a green and white checked pattern with dark green handles. The Hay collection is planned to launch in autumn 2017, featuring furniture, lighting, accessories and textile designs; the brand has released images of prototypes, including a chair in the same dark green, as well as a bench, table and desk lamp.
The Swedish brand also announced a major new collaboration with British designer Tom Dixon, to launch in August 2017. The range will explore comfortable, modular, flexible and lightweight seating for the modern home. “We are in the midst of a huge revolution in how people create, manufacture and consume,” Tom Dixon said in a statement. “The furniture business has been slow to respond to the opportunities, but now is an amazing time to experiment in new ways of working. In this case in a fresh collaboration directly with the consumer, industry and global experts.”
The announcement was made at Ikea’s Democratic Design Day in Sweden, an annual conference where it announced its popular Ilse Crawford collection last year.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU