Ikea has announced a collaboration with Danish design brand Hay, including a redesign of its big blue carrier bags. The new Frakta bags have a green and white checked pattern with dark green handles. The Hay collection is planned to launch in autumn 2017, featuring furniture, lighting, accessories and textile designs; the brand has released images of prototypes, including a chair in the same dark green, as well as a bench, table and desk lamp.
The Swedish brand also announced a major new collaboration with British designer Tom Dixon, to launch in August 2017. The range will explore comfortable, modular, flexible and lightweight seating for the modern home. “We are in the midst of a huge revolution in how people create, manufacture and consume,” Tom Dixon said in a statement. “The furniture business has been slow to respond to the opportunities, but now is an amazing time to experiment in new ways of working. In this case in a fresh collaboration directly with the consumer, industry and global experts.”
The announcement was made at Ikea’s Democratic Design Day in Sweden, an annual conference where it announced its popular Ilse Crawford collection last year.
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again