Graphic designer Jonathan Barnbrook, musician and designer Andrew Savage, and director Romain Gavras are among the nominees for the Grammys 2017.
Jonathan has been nominated for Best Recording Package for his design of David Bowie’s Blackstar album. Andrew has also been nominated in this category for the cover of Human Performance by his band Parquet Courts. The other nominees are Ciarra Pardo and Robyn Fenty for Rihanna’s ANTI album cover; Sarah Dodds and Shauna Dodds for Reckless Kelly’s Sunset Motel artwork; and Eric Timothy Carlson for Bon Iver’s 22, A Millionartwork.
The video for Jamie xx’s Gosh, directed by Romain Gavras, has been nominated for Best Music Video. The category also includes the video for Beyoncé’s Formation directed by Melina Matsoukas and Leon Bridges’ River video, directed by Miles Jay.
Jonathan Barnbrook is speaking at this month’s Nicer Tuesdays.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s