Gilles Peterson has released season three of his series The Creative Class, as part of his role as creative director of WeTransfer. The series of documentaries features conversations with a spectrum of creatives, sharing their insights on the industry and how technology is changing the way they work.
This series focuses solely on Cuba, with Gilles interviewing five practitioners “helping define the creative culture of this fascinating and rapidly-changing country”. This includes conceptual artist Wilfredo Prieto, entrepreneur Susu Salim, independent design store founder Idania del Rio, musician Edgaro Gonzales and dancer Ildolidia Ramos.
The short films look at how they’ve innovated within their fields despite restricted technological developments and limited access to the internet.
“Regular trips to Cuba over the last ten years or so have given me a remarkable insight into the rapid changes going on there,” explains Gilles. These artists, he says, are “shaping the future landscape in the world of music, art and design. They are all pioneering creative champions who have risen against all odds to make their mark.”
The first series included interviews with Damon Albarn, Tom Dixon and Stefan Sagmeister, while the second series featured Penny Martin and Nancy Tilbury.
Watch the films below and read more about the series here.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos