The visual arts programme for the European Capital of Culture Aarhus 2017 has been announced, including a series of performances of Tree of Codes, the show created by Olafur Eliasson, Wayne McGregor, Paris Opera Ballet and Jamie xx.
A series of large-scale exhibitions titled Seven Deadly Sins will see seven contemporary artists and seven art museums collaborate to rethink the sins in society today. The artists are: Jenny Holzer and Christian Lemmerz: Lust; Barbara Kruger: Gluttony; Rebecca Louise Law: Pride; Jamex and Einar de la Torre: Sloth; Katja Bjørn: Envy; Martin Erik Andersen with René Schmidt: Anger; and Peter Linde Busk, Steinar Haga Kristensen and Alexander Tovborg: Greed.
Avant-garde Italian artist Piero Manzoni will be celebrated at the Socle du Monde Biennale, hosted by the Heart Museum in Herning. A group of 60 international artists and curators inspired by his work will be exhibited, including Yayoi Kusama, Yves Klein, Antony Gormley, Charles Fréger, Conrad Shawcross and Tomás Saraceno, alongside works by Manzoni himself.
Nathan Coley has created ten temporary illuminated text works that will be shown throughout the year as part of Coast to Coast, a series of site-specific works on the Danish coast. There will also be landmark exhibition at Museum Jorn bringing together Edvard Munch and Asger Jorn.
The European Capital of Culture programme began in 1985 and each year is designated to one or multiple locations in Europe, aiming to promote regeneration and tourism, raise the profile of the cities and “breath new life” into their cultures. This year it is shared with Pafos in Cyprus.
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborn portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Lili des Bellons illustrates a fluoro world of monsters and robots
- Type tells Tales: Steven Heller and Gail Anderson explore the performative traits of type
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again