Stop motion animation director PES has been enlisted as the animation judge for Elton John’s music video competition, The Cut. The online competition in partnership with YouTube is searching for international creatives to create official music videos for three of Elton’s greatest hits: Tiny Dancer, Bennie and the Jets and Rocket Man.
The American Blinkink director will be judging the videos submitted for Rocket Man, which will be animated. The winner will have full support from YouTube and Pulse Films to turn their idea into the final video, plus $10,000 to help with future projects.
PES is renowned for his stop-motion animation for brands like Honda and citizenM as well as his short films including Fresh Guacamole, which was nominated for an Oscar in 2013. He has over one million subscribers to his YouTube page.
Kurt Hugo Schneider will judge the live action category for Tiny Dancer and Parris Goebel will judge the choregraphy videos for Bennie and the Jets.
“You can animate miniatures, real people, objects, paper… anything you can dream up,” explains PES in a video promoting the competition. “All forms of animation are welcome.” PES will be presenting his shortlist of five films to Elton and a panel including Melina Matsoukas and Barry Jenkins at the end of February.
For more info on how to enter the competition visit The Cut website. The deadline is 23 January.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos