Edward Enninful, the incoming UK Vogue editor-in-chief, has launched his directorial debut with fashion brand Gap, a film celebrating “American optimism” titled Bridging the Gap. Featuring a host of stars including Adwoa Aboah, Priyanka Chopra, Wiz Khalifa, Alek Wek and Casil McArthur, the film takes on the classic Gap ad style with a pure white backdrop, and the cast dancing and singing Sunny by Boney M.
Intended to celebrate diversity, individuality, unity and authenticity, it sees the stars wearing different versions of Gap’s basic white T-shirts, aiming to “offer a glimpse at how their differences unite them”.“I love the optimistic American style that Gap celebrates and the simplicity of the basic white T-shirt that allows you to be yourself,” says Edward. “Growing up, I loved the imagery I saw from America as it celebrated being the land of the free and home of the brave. This project is about authenticity and people living their truths.”
Gap’s Craig Brommers commented that Bridging the Gap is “about showing the many faces of what it means to be an American and bringing all of those sides together,” and that it aimed to show “an optimistic view of the world”. Cast member Christie Brinkley said she sees Bridging the Gap as “a statement of mutual humanity and freedom”.
The full cast also includes Jasmine Sanders, Fernanda Ly, Jonathan Groff, Ellen Rosa, Lineisy Montero, Yara Shahidi, Maria Borges and Miles Chamley-Watson.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design