Edward Enninful, the incoming UK Vogue editor-in-chief, has launched his directorial debut with fashion brand Gap, a film celebrating “American optimism” titled Bridging the Gap. Featuring a host of stars including Adwoa Aboah, Priyanka Chopra, Wiz Khalifa, Alek Wek and Casil McArthur, the film takes on the classic Gap ad style with a pure white backdrop, and the cast dancing and singing Sunny by Boney M.
Intended to celebrate diversity, individuality, unity and authenticity, it sees the stars wearing different versions of Gap’s basic white T-shirts, aiming to “offer a glimpse at how their differences unite them”.“I love the optimistic American style that Gap celebrates and the simplicity of the basic white T-shirt that allows you to be yourself,” says Edward. “Growing up, I loved the imagery I saw from America as it celebrated being the land of the free and home of the brave. This project is about authenticity and people living their truths.”
Gap’s Craig Brommers commented that Bridging the Gap is “about showing the many faces of what it means to be an American and bringing all of those sides together,” and that it aimed to show “an optimistic view of the world”. Cast member Christie Brinkley said she sees Bridging the Gap as “a statement of mutual humanity and freedom”.
The full cast also includes Jasmine Sanders, Fernanda Ly, Jonathan Groff, Ellen Rosa, Lineisy Montero, Yara Shahidi, Maria Borges and Miles Chamley-Watson.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU