Dominic Wilcox has reinvented 30 seasonal items, such as a sledge and a lilo, to give them purpose all year round. As part of the commission from tyre manufacturer Goodyear, the artist and designer has sketched the ideas for an e-book called All Season Inventions and made prototypes of some, which can be viewed in a video interview with the designer.
The items are a brilliant combination of silly and potential genius, offering a glimpse at the world through Dominic’s imaginative eyes. They include a lilo that becomes a raincoat, a snow shovel water ski, ice tray snow shoes, and a paddling pool that can be used as a mould to make a snowman. There’s also a collection of salt grit containers that double as outdoor seating, a sledge with parasol and side table attachments to adapt it for summer lounging by the pool, and a skateboard with a built-in blow torch for melting snow.
“One of the design flaws of a skateboard is that you can’t skate on thick snow, so I came up with the idea of attaching a blow torch to melt the snow directly in front of the skateboard. It’s all quite logical really.”
The commission is part of campaign promoting Goodyear’s All Seasons tyre. See all the inventions and a video interview with Dominic below.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos