Online architecture and design magazine Dezeen has published its first Dezeen Hot List, a ranking of “the most searched for and talked about stories and global trends of 2015/2016”. The late architect Zaha Hadid tops the list of 400 people, firms and brands, though the next named woman on the list ranks at 71. This is Rossana Hu of design duo Neri&Hu.
The list was compiled by analysing “thousands of search returns and millions of page views” aiming to provide a snapshot of the design and architecture industry’s news agenda over the past year. Dezeen claims it is “the most comprehensive data-driven survey of architecture, design, brand, product, celebrity and institutions ever conducted worldwide”.
Danish architect Bjarke Ingels is ranked second, before Milan Design Week festival at third. The rest of the top ten is largely architects, with Herzog & de Meuron at fourth and Kengo Kuma at fifth. The second half of the top ten features Ikea, Peter Zumthor, Sanaa, MVRDV and David Chipperfield. The list includes 193 architects, 53 designers and 82 brands.
- Parterre de Rois: the Black issue features Anish Kapoor and Nina Chanel Abney
- Noah Beckwith’s experimental approach to his “stream-of-consciousness” posters
- Talya Modlin shares illustrated gems from her sketchbook
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors
- The exploratory and exciting typefaces of Out of the Dark
- MullenLowe Group’s Global Creative Officer José Miguel Sokoloff on judging CSM's degree shows
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris