An auction to raise funds for the Design Museum’s new building in London features one-off items donated by Jony Ive, Rolf Sachs, Antony Gormley, Norman Foster and the Zaha Hadid Foundation. The collection is open for public viewing from 22-28 April at Phillips auction house in Mayfair, before the live auction on the 28th. It is also being auctioned online until 2 May.
The collection also features work by Thomas Heatherwick, Richard Woods, Frank Gehry, Paola Petrobelli, Paul Cocksedge, Martino Gamper, Michele De Lucchi and Geraldine Prieur.
The Apple design team, headed by Jony Ive, donated a unique iPad Pro, smart cover, and Apple pencil and holder. Ron Arad has given his own unique vinyl-wrapped Fiat 500 to the collection, while Rolf Sachs has also contributed a Ron Arad design, the London Papardelle chair.
Antony Gormley has donated one of his sculptures, Small Spall III, and Michael Craig-Martin’s Timetable desk was donated by the artist and Carpenters Workshop Gallery. The Norman Foster Foundation has contributed a gold-finished version of the architect’s Arc table for Molteni&C, while the Zaha Hadid Foundation has given a set of three Bianco Covelano low tables from Zaha’s Mercuric collection.
All profits from the Time for Design sale will go towards the Design Museum’s new building in Holland Park, London. It was co-curated by Design Museum director Deyan Sudjic and Alexander Payne, worldwide director of design at Phillips.
- Parallel Teeth's cheery world of egg eyes, animated cut-outs and weird illustrated characters
- Will Dohrn directs dreamy video “Ribbons” for Club Kuru
- Inès Longevial’s deliciously rich geometric paintings
- Illustrator Richard Ellis’ joyfully large-breasted and bare-bottomed characters
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know