An auction to raise funds for the Design Museum’s new building in London features one-off items donated by Jony Ive, Rolf Sachs, Antony Gormley, Norman Foster and the Zaha Hadid Foundation. The collection is open for public viewing from 22-28 April at Phillips auction house in Mayfair, before the live auction on the 28th. It is also being auctioned online until 2 May.
The collection also features work by Thomas Heatherwick, Richard Woods, Frank Gehry, Paola Petrobelli, Paul Cocksedge, Martino Gamper, Michele De Lucchi and Geraldine Prieur.
The Apple design team, headed by Jony Ive, donated a unique iPad Pro, smart cover, and Apple pencil and holder. Ron Arad has given his own unique vinyl-wrapped Fiat 500 to the collection, while Rolf Sachs has also contributed a Ron Arad design, the London Papardelle chair.
Antony Gormley has donated one of his sculptures, Small Spall III, and Michael Craig-Martin’s Timetable desk was donated by the artist and Carpenters Workshop Gallery. The Norman Foster Foundation has contributed a gold-finished version of the architect’s Arc table for Molteni&C, while the Zaha Hadid Foundation has given a set of three Bianco Covelano low tables from Zaha’s Mercuric collection.
All profits from the Time for Design sale will go towards the Design Museum’s new building in Holland Park, London. It was co-curated by Design Museum director Deyan Sudjic and Alexander Payne, worldwide director of design at Phillips.
- Inside the latest Sneakersnstuff campaign by Wang & Söderström
- What if scarfs were breasts? Eisprung's enjoyably silly and well-crafted animation
- Photographer John Laurie explores sports culture in Uzbekistan
- Young love lasts a lifetime: Ewen Spencer on his new book
- The frustration of crazy golf embodied by student animation collective Megacomputeur
- Enormous 20ft Barbies and bluebottles in real-life locations, by photographer Michael John Hunter
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU