Architectural installations by Ron Arad, Jean Prouvé and Kengo Kuma will form part of this year’s Design at Large series at Design Miami Basel, exploring new ways of living within landscape. The series of pop-up structures will be curated by Cabana Magazine’s Martina Mondadori, and aim to demonstrate inventive approaches to architectural design for the outdoors.
Ron Arad Armadillo Tea Canopy is a free-standing structure comprising five overlapping timber shells, designed to blend with natural surroundings and provide an intimate enclosure within a garden. The pavilion was originally made for Revolution Precrafted Properties in 2015 and presented at the festival’s US show, Design Miami.
Jean Prouvé’s Temporary School of Villejuif was originally made in 1957 as part of a commission to design a lightweight, easily dismantled and rebuilt school for the inner Paris suburbs. This is presented by Galerie Patrick Seguin.
Kengo Kuma will present a brand new pavilion with Galerie Philippe Gravier, called Owan, made from interweaving metal strands with an inner membrane. The architect previously showed two other structures at Design Miami in December, including the Oribe Tea House (pictured).
The Design at Large programme will also show pop-up gardens and prototypes for urban farms. Design Miami Basel opens 14-19 June in Basel, Switzerland.
- Parallel Teeth's cheery world of egg eyes, animated cut-outs and weird illustrated characters
- Will Dohrn directs dreamy video “Ribbons” for Club Kuru
- Inès Longevial’s deliciously rich geometric paintings
- Illustrator Richard Ellis’ joyfully large-breasted and bare-bottomed characters
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know