Bob and Roberta Smith, David Adjaye, Anna Wintour, Chris Ofili, Ryan Gander and Victoria Beckham are among the creatives on the New Year honours list for 2017.
Bob and Roberta, real name Patrick Brill, will receive an OBE for services to the arts, and shared the below on Instagram in response.
Chris Ofili was awarded a CBE and Ryan Gander an OBE, both also for services to art. Christopher Logsdail, founder and director of the Lisson Gallery, will be made OBE for services to the arts, while photographer Don McCullin will receive a knighthood.
Architect David Adjaye will also receive a knighthood as part of a group of 76 awards given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Britons for “exceptional service to Britain overseas”. This list also includes an DBE for Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of US Vogue.
Victoria Beckham was awarded an OBE for services to the fashion industry, while costume designer Jenny Beavan was made OBE for services to drama production. Willie Walters, the recently retired programme director for fashion at Central Saint Martins, was made OBE for her work in higher education, fashion and the creative industries; and Naim Ibrahim Attallah, chairman of independent publisher Quartet Books, also received an OBE.
Watch Bob and Roberta Smith’s empowering talk at Here 2016.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know