Bob and Roberta Smith, David Adjaye, Anna Wintour, Chris Ofili, Ryan Gander and Victoria Beckham are among the creatives on the New Year honours list for 2017.
Bob and Roberta, real name Patrick Brill, will receive an OBE for services to the arts, and shared the below on Instagram in response.
Chris Ofili was awarded a CBE and Ryan Gander an OBE, both also for services to art. Christopher Logsdail, founder and director of the Lisson Gallery, will be made OBE for services to the arts, while photographer Don McCullin will receive a knighthood.
Architect David Adjaye will also receive a knighthood as part of a group of 76 awards given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Britons for “exceptional service to Britain overseas”. This list also includes an DBE for Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of US Vogue.
Victoria Beckham was awarded an OBE for services to the fashion industry, while costume designer Jenny Beavan was made OBE for services to drama production. Willie Walters, the recently retired programme director for fashion at Central Saint Martins, was made OBE for her work in higher education, fashion and the creative industries; and Naim Ibrahim Attallah, chairman of independent publisher Quartet Books, also received an OBE.
Watch Bob and Roberta Smith’s empowering talk at Here 2016.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy