Bob and Roberta Smith, David Adjaye, Anna Wintour, Chris Ofili, Ryan Gander and Victoria Beckham are among the creatives on the New Year honours list for 2017.
Bob and Roberta, real name Patrick Brill, will receive an OBE for services to the arts, and shared the below on Instagram in response.
Chris Ofili was awarded a CBE and Ryan Gander an OBE, both also for services to art. Christopher Logsdail, founder and director of the Lisson Gallery, will be made OBE for services to the arts, while photographer Don McCullin will receive a knighthood.
Architect David Adjaye will also receive a knighthood as part of a group of 76 awards given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Britons for “exceptional service to Britain overseas”. This list also includes an DBE for Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of US Vogue.
Victoria Beckham was awarded an OBE for services to the fashion industry, while costume designer Jenny Beavan was made OBE for services to drama production. Willie Walters, the recently retired programme director for fashion at Central Saint Martins, was made OBE for her work in higher education, fashion and the creative industries; and Naim Ibrahim Attallah, chairman of independent publisher Quartet Books, also received an OBE.
Watch Bob and Roberta Smith’s empowering talk at Here 2016.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU