Cartoon editor for The New Yorker Bob Mankoff is stepping down after 20 years in the role. He will be replaced by Emma Allen, another editor at the magazine. Bob has drawn more than 800 cartoons for The New Yorker and will continue to contribute artworks, as well as editing a new anthology, The New Yorker Encyclopaedia of Cartoons. He will also carry on his work with the Cartoon Bank, an online database he founded, together with Condé Nast.
Bob has achieved renown for his cartoons, and published a half illustrative, half autobiographical book How About Never – Is Never Good for You? in 2014, inspired by his most famous cartoon. He also starred in the documentary Very Semi-Serious: A Partially Thorough Portrait of New Yorker Cartoonists in 2015.
The New Yorker editor David Remnick says: “[Bob] brought a real sense of originality to this work, but, even more important, a sense of the artists and their interests. He has brought everyone’s best work to the table and managed a complicated balancing act with grace, sustaining the work of people who have been publishing in The New Yorker for many years while bringing new artists into the mix, including more diverse voices and views of the world. In addition, Bob was an early and constant digital enthusiast, and has found myriad new ways to publish cartoons and promote the form. I want to thank Bob for his extraordinary vision and leadership on these fronts.”
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s