Last night in Glasgow Assemble were announced as the winners of the 2015 Turner Prize. The London-based collective is the first architecture practice, the first collective and the youngest ever winners of the £25,000 award. Assemble presented its project in Liverpool in collaboration with the Granby Four Streets land trust as part of the exhibition in Glasgow. The project has seen the renovation of derelict houses scheduled for demolition and the creation of a workshop that sells homeware designed in collaboration with local artists and craftspeople using materials salvaged from the site.
“They draw on long traditions of artistic and collective initiatives that experiment in art, design and architecture. In doing so they offer alternative models to how societies can work,” says Tate, which organises the award. “The long term collaboration between Granby Four Streets and Assemble shows the importance of artistic practice being able to drive and shape urgent issues in the post-industrial era.”
Sugarhouse Records, founded by Assemble, will be Djing at It’s Nice That’s Review of the Year party this Friday.
Below is some of the reaction to the announcement
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project