London motion design studio Art&Graft has launched two animated shorts for I Am Team GB, The National Lottery and ITV’s campaign leading up to the Rio Olympics. The films combine a charismatic illustrative style with 3D character animation, and beautifully lit landscapes inspired by Norman Wilkinson’s paintings, to tell two different stories.
In The Road to Rio, lottery tickets escape from various familiar domestic environs, from behind a fridge magnet and inside a washing machine, and gather in the sky like a flock of birds. These then sweep through landscapes around the country transforming athletes into Olympians. This serves to promote Camelot, which runs The National Lottery, as a key funder of Team GB.
In I Am Team GB, the landscapes are less cinematic and more pared-back. Using a “rotating camera” point of view, the animation is more personable and low-key, showing characters turning into athletes.
The Road to Rio first showed on 21 July, and I Am Team GB on 25 July, with further promos and a print campaign to follow in the lead up to the Games.
Creative director on the project was Mike Moloney, head of animation was Clement Bolla and head of 3D was Martin Salfity. Art&Graft worked with The National Lottery, ITN Productions, ITV Creative and ITV AdVentures.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc