The Museum of Architecture has commissioned a series of 2.5-metre-tall sandcastles by Asif Khan, vPPR and Nex Architecture to be constructed across public spaces in London’s Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Part of inTransit festival and London Festival of Architecture, the concept merges the two event themes: Island Life and Memory. Referencing the traditions of the “great British summer” the designers were asked to “consider the broader histories of leisure and seaside architecture in the UK when creating their proposals”.
Asif Khan has created a subterranean sandcastle showing Chand Baori, a 1200-year-old stepwell in northern India, in cross-section. “A great feat of early thermal engineering,” says Asif Khan studio, “it provided vital water storage in this arid region, in the form of an inner world for bathing and contemplation.” The model, placed outside the Design Museum, aims to reveal “the beauty of its geometry”.
vPPR’s structure is a scaled reconstruction of Aldo Rossi’s Lighthouse Theatre (built 1987), situated on Tavistock Road. Nex Architecture’s sculpture responds to a statue in its location of Duke of York Square, of Sir Hands Sloane. “Over the course of his lifetime he amassed a vast collection of natural specimens,” explains the practice. Inspired by an exploration of his collection of shells, Nex has designed a spiralling tower of sand with “an intricate surface of light and shade”.
The sandcastles will be on display until 25 June.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design