Apple has announced the winners of its annual design awards at the company’s Worldwide Developers Conference in California. Awarded to software and hardware designs produced by independent developers for Mac and iOS, the accolade was this year given to 12 apps, including five games.
The winners are games Blackbox, Splitter Critters, Mushroom 11, Old Man’s Journey and Severed, and apps Lake, Bear, Kitchen Stories, Things 3, Elk, Enlight and AirMail 3.
Lake is a colouring app developed by a small company of the same name in Slovenia, with a “simple and playful design” says Apple, and “beautiful illustrations to help anyone create a masterpiece”. It features curated illustrations by local and international artists such as Marcus Oakley, Nelleke Verhoeff and Maja Säfstrom.
Blackbox is a puzzle game with a highly graphical interface, that “breaks the fourth wall of iPhone to make your world a part of each solution”, says Apple. The game includes functions that don’t involve touching the screen. It was designed and developed by Ryan McLeod.
Old Man’s Journey is an adventure puzzle game “about life, loss and hope”, developed by Broken Rules, a five-person team in Vienna, Austria. It was selected for its “beautiful, hand-drawn art style, and whimsical, exceptionally crafted landscapes”.
Read more about the winners and download the apps here. The WWDC ends tomorrow 9 June.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU