Annie Leibovitz has photographed a pregnant Serena Williams for the cover of Vanity Fair, showing the tennis player almost naked, wearing just a nude thong and a body chain. Shot in profile in a confidently casual pose against a grey studio backdrop, the shoot styled by the magazine’s fashion and style director Jessica Diehl accompanies an interview with Serena in the August issue, written by Buzz Bissinger.
In a behind the scenes article on Vanity Fair’s website, Annie Leibovitz comments on the “minimalistic shoot” that: “I’ve been photographing Serena since she was 16 years old. It was wonderful to do these pictures at this stage of her life.”
The rest of the photo series inside the magazine shows more solo portraits of Serena and other shots with her fiancé, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. The shoot was produced by Vanity Fair senior photography producer Kathryn MacLeod in Florida.
Jessica Diehl also commented on the approach to the shoot: “The thing we all agreed on is the fact that power, motherhood, and athleticism are not mutually exclusive.”
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s