Annie Leibovitz has photographed a pregnant Serena Williams for the cover of Vanity Fair, showing the tennis player almost naked, wearing just a nude thong and a body chain. Shot in profile in a confidently casual pose against a grey studio backdrop, the shoot styled by the magazine’s fashion and style director Jessica Diehl accompanies an interview with Serena in the August issue, written by Buzz Bissinger.
In a behind the scenes article on Vanity Fair’s website, Annie Leibovitz comments on the “minimalistic shoot” that: “I’ve been photographing Serena since she was 16 years old. It was wonderful to do these pictures at this stage of her life.”
The rest of the photo series inside the magazine shows more solo portraits of Serena and other shots with her fiancé, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. The shoot was produced by Vanity Fair senior photography producer Kathryn MacLeod in Florida.
Jessica Diehl also commented on the approach to the shoot: “The thing we all agreed on is the fact that power, motherhood, and athleticism are not mutually exclusive.”
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books