Created by 72andSunny Amsterdam, Adidas’ new ad focuses on the words “blah blah blah,” a visualisation of the gossip and predictions made by fans and the media during football pre-season. The ad is part of the sports brand’s campaign First Never Follows, and is based on the idea that if you “listen to the noise, you’ll never create anything special on the pitch. If you want to be first, never follow the blah. Because First Never Follows.”
Directed by Somesuch’s Rollo Jackson, the spot is a playful nod to the constant transfer rumours made about many of the players featured. The ad works hard at creating a brash and punchy environment, by implementing an array of visual styles including anime and video-game-like interludes.
As the words clutter the screen in a shower of noise and disruptive typography, players from the brand’s largest clubs (including Real Madrid, Chelsea, FC Bayern Munich and Manchester United) ignore the rumours and keep their heads in the game. Some of the biggest players in football feature including Paul Pogba, Manuel Neuer, Gareth Bale, Diego Costa, and even new Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho makes a cameo.
This ad is the first of several films Adidas has rolled out across social media, with the other shorts relating to each of the individual clubs featured.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc