A$AP Rocky has been named creative director of MTV Labs, an incubator within MTV’s parent company Viacom. Rocky will have full access to the company’s resources, including its production facilities, to create original content for MTV and branded content for advertisers.
According to a release from Viacom, the Harlem-born rapper will be experimenting with new formats as well as existing MTV intellectual property.
The partnership brings together A$AP Rocky’s own creative company AWGE and Viacom Velocity, the conglomerate’s in-house agency.
“MTV is a name we grew up with,” Rocky says, “everyone knows them as innovators and champions of building artists’ careers.”
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again