A homage to blue skies and the hope of spring, Will Dohrn’s music video Ribbons for Club Kuru couldn’t have arrived at a better time. The song’s lilting psychedelic sound is matched by a dreamily grainy ‘70s soaked music video.
Old housing estates, brutalist concrete walls, an all day cafe stocked with formica furniture, an impossibly photogenic abandoned swimming pool and a slathering of pastel hues and sunsets form Ribbons Instagram-friendly backdrop. It’s a clever move from director Will: as we watch the protagonist move through the film’s dreamscape, we learn that she is mostly interested in the images beaming out of handily placed television screens.
“These visions represent what she is longing for: company, fun, friends, and somebody to tell her she is going to be ok,” Will says. “Much like in the real world, we can’t ever reach past the screens to the other side, where we believe the things we want are waiting for us. Here, Tatiana is left alone to find her own way with the mantra from an old wise man chanting in her head.”
Ribbons is the latest installation from Will Dohrn who has already worked with musicians including Abra, Massive Attack, Rae Sremmurd, Kurt Vile, Danny Brown, Action Bronson, Neneh Cherry and Nina Kraviz and boasts clients in Crack magazine, Nike, American Apparel, Fact magazine, Cutler & Gross, London Design Week, Carhartt and the BBC.
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos