Baleapop is a music and arts festival that takes place in Saint-Jean-de-Luz in France every summer and Paris-based Twice Studio has been tasked with creating this year’s identity, and its the fifth year of the studio working with the event.
“This year we chose the topic of ‘community’, trying to capture how a group of people come together and enjoy a short time together at the festival. [Through the identity] we want to build a new community during the festival, where we create its own rules, money and beliefs,” explains the studio. “We decided to work with old myths and legends from traditional societies and cultures like South America, India and Africa. People in those ancient societies used to gather together around a popular belief, usually represented by steles or totems.”
From its research, Twice worked on a series of god-like representations that appear as architectural icons, creating a “god of music, a god of art and the Baleapop god”. The colours chosen for the identity use solid primary colours with flashes of black and brown to create impact.
The bold, geometric lines and symmetrical compositions seen throughout the identity all come together to “tempt people to come party and convey a positive energy” and Twice Studio has used Suisse Int’l regular as the typeface, which sits stoically next to the dynamic graphics. “The whole identity is a sort of call to action, to gather people to celebrate art, music, summer and nature during Baleapop,” explains the studio.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design