Illustrator and designer Thomas Colligan has created Small Notes, a zine that contains a “selection of moments and items that we too often forget”. The zine is made up of a collection of beautifully drawn, colourful line drawings that depict simple activities like reading while lying down, having drinks with friends or just hanging out with loved ones in silence.
The mundane actions are captured in bright, vibrant hues with a focus on pattern and flat landscapes, which allows Thomas to experiment with how the shape of his characters and their surroundings fit together, rather than the nitty gritty details. To offset the primary-coloured artwork, Thomas has included blue, monotone drawings in the same style that change the pace of the zine.
The Switzerland-born, New York-based illustrator and designer was last featured on It’s Nice That in 2014 and 2015, and while this series of drawings still has the same colourful sensibility as back then, his style has become more pared back and refined, showing a maturity in his work.
The zine has been printed in a four-colour Risograph and published by Txt Books, who also published Anibal Bley’s zine Paso, which was recently on t’s Nice That. Thomas is a “co-co-co-founder” of the independent publishing project and the collective is just gearing up to show its publications at LA Art Book Fair, which kicks off 24 February 2017.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know