Pardon the puns, but when you have a project as eggcentric as 12 dozen egg cups amongst your Things, it’s simply irresistible. If literally hundreds of photos of eggs doesn’t crack you up, perhaps you’ll go all runny inside for a eggcellent poster from Rose Blake and an eggstraordinary comic from the marvellous NoBrow Press and writer and illustrator Roman Muradov. Failing that, you’ll surely get eggcited by Phaidon’s new series of introductions to the life and work of modern masters or by some prints celebrating the eggceptional pioneers of the poster. Right then, onwards, because I’m fresh out of yolks.
12 dozen egg cups
Alex and Dave, a printmaker and filmmaker, had “never used clay before” this year. Realising that their creative juices were, frankly, being wasted like a soft-boiled egg spooned out of the pan too soon, they set to work making 144 unique ceramic egg cups. Their blog, 12 dozen egg cups, is a testament to just how inventive two people can be with a lump of clay and one simple function to fulfil. From a volcano to a palm tree, a camel to a candleabra, these cups sure are eggcentric. My eggs and soldiers will never be the same again without one of their magical creations.
Roman Muradov: (In A Sense) Lost & Found
NoBrow Press sure are producing some crackers at the moment. Roman Muradov’s (In A Sense) Lost & Found has a corker of a title and begins with a great pun: “F. Premise awoke one morning from troubled dreams to find that her innocence had gone missing.” It’s a tale set in a mysterious twilit world of winding staircases and leafless trees, full of elegant characters penned with sophistication. No surprise then that Roman has previously illustrated for the New Yorker and New York Times and his Tolstoy Doodle graced Google home pages far and wide just a few days ago to celebrate the Russian author’s birthday.
Rose Blake: Poster for Blisters 2014
Screen printer extraordinaire Rose Blake created this moony poster for the Print Club’s competition Blisters 2014. It’s “a tribute to Phil Everly who died at the beginning of this year”, inspired by the singer’s On the wings of a nightingale and featuring the lovely line “I’ve got a feeling that the journey has just begun.” Rose was one of our graduates way back in 2009 and has been consistently wowing us ever since.
Phaidon: Essential Introductions to Modern Masters
We’ve got our mitts on some satisfyingly hardback yet not too hefty introductions from Phaidon yet to be released to the masses. The series includes titles on Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Richard Estes and other venerable artists. The books are tastefully simple, encased in a plastic cover to protect them from all those crayons and paints that you’re sure to whip out in a frenzy of inspiration after browsing these pages. Each contains a trove of images of artwork and educational focus chapters on themes and techniques.
Alan Kitching and Monotype: Celebrating the Centenary of Five Pioneers of the Poster
These five prints, produced by Alan Kitching and Monotype, are reminders of the iconic work of Tom Eckersley, Abram Games, FHK Henrion, Josef Müller-Brockmann and Paul Rand who were all, coincidentally, born in 1914. The prints accompany an exhibition of posters and archival material at the London College of Communication, a talk, film and panel discussion. Who better than one of the world’s foremost graphic designers to hold the quintet’s 100-year-old birthday celebrations?
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s