We know that Things conjures strange, yet wonderful, feelings inside you. Don’t suppress them, you know it’s best for you and to give you a better reason, this week is especially full of marvellous items. What are you waiting for?
Phaidon Focus: Essential Introductions to Modern Artists
Phaidon Focus have produced these beautifully designed books to give you the know-how to the most iconic artists of the modern day. With a simple layout and the same colour theme running throughout each edition, they bring you the essentials in a concise manner. Now you can show off your art knowledge without any worries of being shot down.
The Magic Book Of Nightmares
Don’t deny you still check under your bed for monsters, and in the wardrobe for the sandman. It’s okay, Belly Kids hear your cries and have collaborated with 19 illustrators to “explore the magical world of nightmares.” So take a deep breath, you aren’t the only one.
Accidentally On Purpose
It is my pleasure to present to you this truly brilliant zine by photographer Ben Richards. Comprised of all his non-desired photographs of double exposures, light trails and out-of-focus shots – this is my kind of photography. You da best Ben.
Heresy: God’s Work
This mysterious-looking zine is a collection of illustrations from the likes of Jean Jullien, Tom Sewell and Aaron Gregory. According to these illustrators, atheism is a black and white world full of ambiguous happenings with the odd splashing of symbolism. I have no idea what the sausage or the church submerged in water mean…
Another Escape: A Creative Exploration Volume One
I was really drawn to the design of this magazine, especially the little symbols that categorise the motives behind Another Escape, which is: “the need for inspiration, the exploration of ideas, the application of ideas in process, and the final response.” Articles include a trip to the aquarium and an interview with a 80-year-old scuba diver. A must have for all adventure addicts, and those counting down the days till their holiday.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project