Topman presents Private Views: a new series of films featuring Topman’s four Private Labels – Topman Premium, LUX, AAA and LTD – to explore the concept of originality through the voices of four creative influencers. First up is photographer and director Dexter Navy wearing Topman Premium.
West London born and bred, these days filmmaker and photographer Dexter Navy splits his time between the capital, LA and Paris.
The Partisan-repped directer has shot music videos for Rainy Milo, Jamie Isaac and perhaps most impressively, for “Pretty Flacko” rapper, producer, director and model A$AP Rocky’s track “L$D”, the video for which won Dexter a nomination for Best New Director at the UK Music Video Awards last year. Somewhere in between flying back and forth across the Atlantic and hanging out with world-famous rappers, Dexter has found the time to hold his first solo photography exhibition 36 at east London’s Hoxton Gallery, shoot MIA, Travis Scott, Theophilus London, a lookbook for Billionaire Boys Club, direct spots for Red Bull Music Academy, Amuse, Nike and Havana and (of course) to feature in Dazed 100.
Dexter describes his work as “colourful, raw, psychedelic and unexpected.” “For every video I direct,” he adds, “I see it as a film. I push myself to try new techniques so viewers who know my work expect the highest level of craftsmanship. I want to never stop experimenting as that’s the only way it’ll stay interesting to me.” Lately, Dexter has been working on his first feature film (a “coming of age story” based in Egypt), a zine (“for my friend Yoon who runs a brand called Ambush”) and editorials for iD and Japanese magazine Grind.
He has also been busy in front of the camera, in a film that Virtue have created in collaboration with Topman for their Topman Premium collection. The film features Dexter, dressed in Topman Premium, cruising around the M25 talking about his career to date. Watch that film and see more of Dexter’s work below.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy