Topman presents Private Views: a new series of films featuring Topman’s four Private Labels – Topman Premium, LUX, AAA and LTD – to explore the concept of originality through the voices of four creative influencers. First up is photographer and director Dexter Navy wearing Topman Premium.
West London born and bred, these days filmmaker and photographer Dexter Navy splits his time between the capital, LA and Paris.
The Partisan-repped directer has shot music videos for Rainy Milo, Jamie Isaac and perhaps most impressively, for “Pretty Flacko” rapper, producer, director and model A$AP Rocky’s track “L$D”, the video for which won Dexter a nomination for Best New Director at the UK Music Video Awards last year. Somewhere in between flying back and forth across the Atlantic and hanging out with world-famous rappers, Dexter has found the time to hold his first solo photography exhibition 36 at east London’s Hoxton Gallery, shoot MIA, Travis Scott, Theophilus London, a lookbook for Billionaire Boys Club, direct spots for Red Bull Music Academy, Amuse, Nike and Havana and (of course) to feature in Dazed 100.
Dexter describes his work as “colourful, raw, psychedelic and unexpected.” “For every video I direct,” he adds, “I see it as a film. I push myself to try new techniques so viewers who know my work expect the highest level of craftsmanship. I want to never stop experimenting as that’s the only way it’ll stay interesting to me.” Lately, Dexter has been working on his first feature film (a “coming of age story” based in Egypt), a zine (“for my friend Yoon who runs a brand called Ambush”) and editorials for iD and Japanese magazine Grind.
He has also been busy in front of the camera, in a film that Virtue have created in collaboration with Topman for their Topman Premium collection. The film features Dexter, dressed in Topman Premium, cruising around the M25 talking about his career to date. Watch that film and see more of Dexter’s work below.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again