Jesper Kouthoofd’s Teenage Engineering is one of the most technologically exciting outfits in the field of audio. The experimental design lab has only released a small run of products since its inception in 2007 but has a hard-earned reputation for incredible quality and style. It has built stunning wireless speakers and one of the world’s most sought-after synthesisers, as well as collaborating with the likes of Absolut on unusual branded products. It has just released a new edition to its line in the form of Pocket Operators, three miniature synthesisers that can fit in your jeans.
As any long-term fans of Teenage Engineering will know, the user experience is paramount and here, as with the OP-1, there’s a whole heap of nice touches added to ensure the products are as fun to use as they are practical. The graphic interface and simple, iconic navigation mean this is one seriously fun bit of kit to mess around with. Plus if you don’t like the pared-back look there’s a nice little case to cover up all that exposed solder.
The project is a collaboration with Cheap Monday and the Swedish clothing brand has released a range of graphic tees to launch alongside the Pocket Operators, which I guess means you can show off your fantastic taste in synthesisers even when you’ve got them stuffed in your back pocket.
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again