Sophie Koko Gate is an animator with immense illustrative skill. Since graduating from the Royal College of Art she has created a wealth of animations, from depicting educational content to excellently timed music videos of hilarity.
In putting this article together it was difficult not to display every one of Sophie’s animations, but one of her music videos Big Weather Part II is captivating in its simplicity. On a dark background the animator’s colour choices grab you instantly, characterful animated mouths drawing your attention to the lyrics of the song. In many music videos it is difficult to balance a celebration of the song alongside an artistic interpretation, but Sophie’s attention to detail results in a winning combo.
In Half Wet Sophie’s eye for context is again evident, elevating details of the text to create landscapes of warped imaginations that somehow make perfect sense. This particular imagining demonstrates Sophie’s illustrative skill, with wobbled characteristics of facial expressions running throughout her videos. The video was Sophie’s final piece at the RCA, based on the concept that, “we are all born as wet as a banana, around 75% water. By the time we reach adulthood that amount goes down to 54% water”.
We urge you to watch the rest of Sophie’s animations, long or short they are guaranteed to captivate your attention and put a smile on your face.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s