Records and magazines are two physical objects of creativity which are repeatedly said to be dying out. A publication that defies this notion entirely is music zine, So Young. After three years and ten issues filled with an illustrational punch, editor and art director Sam and Josh decided to celebrate with their 11th release. “This special edition fondly looks back but excitedly looks forward,” they say.
So Young has always been a labour of love. Its creators describe the zine as “a gift from us to you under the assumption that you keep going to gigs, buying records and looking at the sleeve artwork as you listen”. It’s a zine the pair created after graduating, in their spare time after work, and was initially given away for free.
A publication that wouldn’t be without the musicians it has been inspired by, the issue champions the So Young darlings, bands such as Palma Violets, Fat White Family, Wolf Alice and Swim Deep who have been lucky enough to grace its covers. However the issue also predicts the future fuss-causing bands interviewing The Lemon Twigs and HMLTD as well as introducing Dead Pretties, Our Girl and Cabbage.
Consistently each of these bands have had their musical personas represented through Josh’s art directional eye of brilliantly bold and contemporary illustration. Flicking through the issue is a delight of familiar faces including Jean Jullien, Gabriel Alcala and Jack Sachs, as well as a nod to It’s Nice That Graduates Maddy Mould and Oscar Mitchell.
Issue 11 of So Young is available to buy here.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy