Rami Niemi has been one of our favourite illustrators for a very long time. According to folklore the hilarious Finn lives in a cabin in the woods where he makes the kind of laugh-out-loud funny imagery that appeals universally to adults and children alike – although there’s often a good deal of smut thrown in too – creating ridiculous stories about folks with giant round heads.
When we asked him to knock up a 16 page comic especially for the new Printed Pages we had only one (massive) stipulation; that it had to include the seven basic narratives that make up classical fiction. Rami kindly obliged and created a magnum opus of rock’n’roll storytelling that includes, in no particular order, a lost The Wire box set, a spiritual healing group, a gang of violent misfits, a time-travelling taxi and some talking avocados. Needless to say, it rocks.
In honour of this masterwork, The Lonely Boys, Rami has put together a playlist to accompany his visuals, so you can sonically mirror the madness of his pictures as you compulsively turn the pages. He notes; “I’ve been obliged to use instrumental cover versions of most of the stuff instead of the real shit, in order to keep it unreal enough.” Enjoy!
You can pick up a copy of the new Printed Pages here.
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- From admirer to employee: The New York Times Magazine designer Ben Grandgenett
- Amina Bouajila’s illustrations flit between reality and limbo in colourful hues
- Rufus Newell uses curves and scribbles to depict Greek gods and heroes
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know