Culinary magazine Put A Egg On It surely has one of the most ingenious publication names we’ve heard. It’s memorable, slightly silly, but also directly links to its delicious content. The magazine focuses on the gastronomical wonderment that is New York, and this issue explores the various neighbourhoods and their delicious communities.
The issue begins by exploring the “fabulous” community that Florent Morellet formed around his eponymous Meat Packing District restaurant. The rest of the issue takes the reader on a hungry journey throughout Bushwick, majestical Manhattan, while painter Duncan Hannah, filmmaker and photographer Aliya Naumoff and New York City Ballet principle dancer Adrian Danchig-Waring gather for "a few tongue-loosening cocktails and conversation over arroz caldoso”. The running feature of a recipe theme for each issue is, “duh duh DUH – SHAME. Yes, it’s what you think, but also, not. Don’t hide your face whilst you take a bite.”
Known as “the tastiest zine in the world” the design is “inspired by the DIY photocopied music fanzines of the late 80s and early 90s, and eschews the aspirational nature of conventional food magazines in favour of a more documentarian and culturally inclusive approach”. In this sense the editorial angle of Put A Egg On It is based on “food, cooking and the communal joys of eating with friends and family”. You’ll find fiction, poetry, musicians and artists digging into their favourite dishes.
Warning: don’t start reading Put A Egg On It without a fully stocked fridge.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s